New – Winter Walking
17 – 24 February 2018
About the holiday
A guided holiday with Anne (owner of Casa Ana), Chris Stewart, author of Driving over Lemons, and friends including experienced guides from the Spanish Highs and Nevadensis guiding companies.
February is a wonderful time to walk in this area: the high mountain peaks glisten with caps of snow, and skies are the purest blue. Lower down there are almond orchards in full bloom trumpeting that spring is here, whilst the tang of woodsmoke reaches you from village firesides. It’s warm during the day and crisp at night and it doesn’t get dark until 7 o’clock.
After a day’s walking return to Casa Ana for mulled wine and roasted chestnuts by the wood-burning stove whilst your chef for the week prepares delicious dinners.
- Snow-shoeing in the high sierras (equipment provided)
- A walk through almond groves in full flower with writer Chris Stewart
- Two days of walking in stunning scenery: along the Poqueira valley and into the hidden gorge of Busquistar
- Down on the south coast, a walk on the cliffs and lunch at a restaurant on the beach
- A visit to a local winery for wine-tasting of Alpujarra wines with expert Tom Goetz
- Ham and wine tasting at a local bodega
- Gourmet dinners at Casa Ana
(Please note that we may have to modify the programme through changes in weather and other circumstances beyond our control.)
Walking: level of challenge
Expect altitude gains of up to 300 metres and 4 - 6 hour-long walks. Bring sensible clothing and good hiking boots. Hiking poles are useful. Despite the time of year bring hats, sun glasses, sun block and a water bottle, and rainwear just in case.
2018 holiday: €1175 per person sharing a room, €1375 for single accommodation. All bedrooms have private bathrooms.
Price includes: bed and breakfast, 5 picnics or lunches, 6 dinners with wine, excursions, snow-shoeing equipment, local transport and guides.
Price does not include: flights, airport transfers, one lunch, some refreshments.